Return to list
Bike to School Day
National Bike to School Day is May 4, 2016!
National Bike to School Day is a one-day event occurring during National Bike Month in May that encourages and celebrates biking to school. This year’s national event is organized by the National Center for Safe Routes to School and follows the successful International Walk to School Daymodel. Bike to School day events can include bicycle safety education, parent-led bike trains, and other bicycle-related education and encouragement activities.
The information below can help you prepare a successful Bike to School Day event with an emphasis on helping children stay safe on the road, through skills training, and by using a properly fitted helmet.
NEW! Customizable Walk, Bike and Roll Poster!
New 8.5 x 11 sized poster allows you to customize with your program information and logo!
Download California Walk, Bike and Roll Poster (Word)
Bicycle Safety Training and Resources
- NEW The new NHTSA ‘Bikeology’ curriculum for middle and high school students
- NEW The new study, Bicycle Safety Education for Children from a Developmental and Learning Perspective, NHTSA – This report describes the nature of children and adolescents’ bicycle injuries in addition to understanding the types of programs that exist and their effectiveness. It also explores the psychological domains related to riding a bicycle in childhood and adolescence such as motor skill development, cognitive development, brain development, and risk-taking and social influences.
- NEW Let’s Go NC!, North Carolina Department of Transportation – Elementary curriculum for bicycling and pedestrian safety
- NEW Check out the great bike safety quizzes for adults, children, and motorists from the Orange County Transportation Authority: http://www.octa.net/Share-the-Ride/Safety-Awareness/Overview/
- NEW 3 Feet for Safety Resources from the Orange County Transportation Authority including campaign materials in multiple languages: http://www.octa.net/Share-the-Ride/Bike/3-Feet-For-Safety-Act/
- School Policy Manual for Safe Bicycle Riding, California Department of Public Health
- Ride Smart – It’s Time to Start video to teach middle and high school youth about how wearing a bicycle helmet can protect them from serious injuries and death, NHTSA
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Parents , National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Kids , National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Bicycle Helmet Parent-Child Pledge, NHTSA
- Parent Tip Sheet for helping children learn to ride without training wheels, from the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- Find a League of American Bicyclists League Certified Instructor
- Bicycle Safety Information and Downloadable materials, California Department of Public Health
- Bicycle Safety Curriculum, Bicycle Transportation Alliance (4th – 7th Grade)
- Family Biking Guide
- NHTSA, Find English and Spanish information, including:
Bicycle Safety Public Service Announcements
Sample Policies and Resolutions